Paleo Recipes

Its not a diet. It's realizing you have the potential to live stronger and live longer.

Monday, December 6, 2010

"granola" bars



Ingredients: preheat oven to 350 degrees
2 handfuls almonds - chopped
3 handfuls walnuts - chopped
3 handfuls pecans - chopped
raisins
honey
cinnamon poweder
clove powder
allspice
1 cup coconut (unsweetened)

GET CREATIVE WITH YOUR SNACKS! This is a great snack! It should be a snack you eat in moderation, though. Raisins and honey are still full of sugar. It has taken some perfecting because after a dozen times, it always turns out different, usually crumbly or over spiced. I'm not going to lie, I don't measure any of it out and obviously that's where my problems begin.

First, I've been slap chopping about 5 cups (i'm guessing since i have little hands) of nuts. My mom gave me one of her food processors, so I'll see how this saves time. I usually like large cut pieces mixed in with finely ground pieces. I add all the dry ingredients - 1 cup coconut (i've found it helps keep the final product from crumbling), a tiny dash of cloves (really potent), a sprinkle of allspice, and I go to town with the cinnamon. Stir so it's even. Next, I let the honey drizzle with my left hand and I stir with my right hand until I get the right consistency. I want it to all be evenly sticky. Not too sticky, but not dry.

Next, I use a square/rectangular glass dish (When I pour everything in, I like it to be at least an inch thick) and dribble olive oil all over the inside. You can use coconut oil, but I usually always have olive oil handy so why pay an extra 10 bucks. Pour your mixture into the dish, and take some wax paper as wide and long as your dish and smash your mixture all around to make it compact.

put it in the over for 20-25-30 minutes. It'll smell so good! It'll taste so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment