Paleo Recipes

Its not a diet. It's realizing you have the potential to live stronger and live longer.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Primal Mayo

This is supposed to look like That...



 Ok. Time to try something really new.


Ingedients:
1 egg or 2 yolks
2-3 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. dijon mustard
a dash of paprika
pinch of salt
3/4-1Cup of olive oil (recipe says to go with a light oil if you are using metal blending equipment.


The following is quoting the recipe so I don't mess it up:
"Place egg, vinegar, paprika, and salt in the container you will whisk it in.  Drizzle the oil in while blending.  If using a hand-held whisk, a glass or stainless steel work best.

Measure 1 cup oil into seperate container, ideally one with a good pouring lip (I used a measuring glass).

Whisk or blend the egg mixture for 10 seconds.  While continuing to whisk, begin to slowly drizzle oil into the container in a very thin, steady stream, no thicker than pencil lead. When about half the oil is mixed in, the mayo will start to thicken and take shape.  Continue blending and drizzling until the oil is gone, or until no more oil will disappear into the emulsion.  Season to staste with more salt if necessary.

So, the following was my experience:

I began with 2 Tbs of cider vinegar instead of 3, and I also added some dry garlic for additional flavor - maybe 4 shakes worth. I became a bit confused when it told me to drizzle the oil in in the first section, then it told me to measure and drizzle...again...in the third section.  I only drizzled once, and it was after measuring.  I called Shaun to the kitchen to assist me in pouring.  He did a great job creating a stream no thicker than pencil lead; in addition, it's easy to lose a rhythm when you have to whisk for minutes straight. You CrossFit so you don't wimp out on the whisking.  Needless to say, my first try at the primal mayo was more runny than it was supposed to be, but I think I'll still taste ok to be able to use it in some recipes from the book, and add it to my can tuna on spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment