Paleo Recipes

Its not a diet. It's realizing you have the potential to live stronger and live longer.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Bison Stuffed Bell Peppers


Ingredients: Serves 4. preheat oven 350.
The Paleo Diet Cookbook

4 Bell Peppers (make sure when you buy them that they can stand on their own)
1 Tbs. olive oil
1lb bison
1 egg
1scallion diced
garlic powder to taste (I used 2 small, fresh cloves)
cayenne pepper to taste (I used 1/4 tsp.)

Preheat oven. cut the tops off the peppers and remove seeds.  Rub the outer surface with oil. Instead of measuring, i just poured about 1tsp in my hand and rubbed. Get a baking dish, add some olive oil to the bottom of it, put the peppers in the dish and set aside.

In a bowl combine ground bison and egg. You can use your hands but I just used a spoon.  Add the Diced scallions, pepper, and garlic.  Keep mixing till it's all even looking.  Stuff your peppers (great for kids to do!)

 You might have already realized this before stuffing the pepper, but your baking dish is going to be slippery when you put the pepers in.  It was quite a challenge to get my peppers to stand on end when full, so I had to put two small shot glasses to help hold them up.  This is what took me the longest to accomplish!  So now you have your baking dish, peppers bison spout up, and now cover ( I covered with foil).   Bake for 1 hour. let sit for 5 minutes.

OK. 1/4 tsp. of cayenne pepper was perfect. 2 tiny cloves of garlic or 1 big clove was perfect!  How can you add an ingredient to taste when the product is RAW? gross.  I'm glad my guesses worked out.  But before I get ahead of myself, I did do a couple things wrong. I'm all cavewoman, so I wanted more meat in my pepper!  I stuffed 1/2 pound in 1 pepper and 1/2 pound in another pepper (I didn't stuff 4 peppers like the recipe said).  The bison was very rare and more like luke warm. Which is ok for some people.  But we put ours back in the micrwave to a more medium cook.  I think if I would have put 1/4 pound in a pepper, it would have been fine. Oh, and when it's all done and you put it on your plate, juice might go everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment