You need to make this recipe right away! It is so delicious, so ALMOST JUST LIKE oatmeal! When you grind the nuts and add the spices in advance, it's just as easy as making morning oatmeal. You have to try it soon. Recipe from Mark's Daily Apple.
What it's supposed to look like....What mine looked like :)
Ingredients: *Bold/underlined notes items I left out of the recipe. They were not on hand.
- 1 small handful of walnuts
- 1 small handful of pecans
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 banana, mashed
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (add more if you prefer it a little runny)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin seeds
- 1 handful of goji berries or fresh berries
1. Add walnuts, pecans, flax seed and spices to a food processor and pulse it down to a course grain, making sure to stop before it’s totally ground into a powder. Set aside. (you can save time by doing this step on a lazy sunday and storing it until later. When I was finished I made about 6 more cups worth of nuts!! yum!!)
2. Whisk together eggs and almond milk until the consistency thickens a little bit into a loose custard. Thoroughly blend together the mashed banana and almond butter and add it to the custard, mixing well.
3. Stir in the nut mixture. Microwave or gently warm on the stove until the “no-atmeal” reaches your desired consistency ; this should only take a few minutes. In both cases, stir the mixture frequently as it cooks. I put it in the microwave for about 90 seconds and it worked well for me.
Sprinkle pumpkin seeds and berries on top. Add more almond milk if you want. Lick the bowl clean!